Priority projects for the implementation of the Treaty of Aachen
France and Germany will launch the implementation of the Aachen treaty with the following joint projects, which will be subject to oversight by the Franco-German Council of Ministers.
- Enhanced cooperation in the United Nations Security Council in connection with Germany’s two-year membership, including during their “dual presidency” of the Security Council (France in March 2019 and Germany in April 2019, followed by either May/June 2020 or June/July 2020).
- Creation of four integrated Franco-German cultural institutes (Rio, Palermo, Erbil, Bishkek) and combining the facilities of five French and German institutions (Córdoba, Atlanta, Glasgow, Minsk, Ramallah).
- Creation of a Franco-German digital portal for audio-visual content and information.
- Expansion of mobility programmes, for example within the framework of the Franco-German Youth Office, particularly for young people who need extra support, interns and apprentices, as well as identification of measurable targets.
- Establishment of a joint citizens fund to support common projects by civil society stakeholders such as citizens’ initiatives and town-twinning schemes.
- Establishment of a committee for cross-border cooperation with the aim of developing a joint strategy to determine priority projects, identify problems in border regions and put forward proposals for solutions to these problems.
- Joint development of a project for new uses for the area around the Fessenheim nuclear power plant after it has been decommissioned, within the framework of a Franco-German business and innovation park; projects in the area of cross-border mobility, the transition to renewable energy, and innovation.
- Improvements in cross-border rail connections e.g. Colmar-Freiburg by reconstructing the Rhine bridge, depending on the results of the ongoing feasibility study, connections between Strasbourg and Frankfurt Airport and between Strasbourg and the Palatinate region, connection between Saarbrücken and Paris.
- Enhanced cooperation on energy and climate within the framework of the existing bilateral high-level formats, particularly with regard to the respective national energy and climate plans, with the goal of discussing the possible development of the energy mix, exploring the possibility of a joint Franco-German chapter in these plans, and exploring development incentives for achieving national goals with regard to the transition to renewable energy.
- Establishment of a Franco-German research and innovation network (“virtual centre”) for artificial intelligence, on the basis of existing structures in the two countries.
- Cooperation in the space industry, in three core areas: Support for a joint strategy for more European innovation in the space industry; cooperation to increase the competitiveness of the space industry, particularly by means of optimal industrial framework conditions; consolidation of independent European access to space through investment in research and development, rationalisation in the industry, and priority for European launchers.
- Promotion of ethical guidelines for new technologies and common values in the areas of digital technology and digital society at the international level.
- Creation of an expert group in the area of social policy, with the participation of social partners, on the issue of “the future of work”.
- Cooperation in the area of financial services and financial markets at the EU level with the goal of jointly working towards high regulatory standards, including in the area of sustainable finance.
- Establishment of a Franco-German future forum to enable dialogue on transformation processes in our societies.